Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dehydration, multiple TNTing

Our schedule now includes two workouts a day Sunday-Thursday and a group bike/run on Saturday. Today, Friday, is off - and I was really looking forward to Friday this week.

Last Saturday we had a great bike ride on the WOD trail out of Vienna. It was so great, I decided I want to move to Vienna. Sunday was swim and run day, Monday bike and strength, Tuesday swim and run, Wednesday bike and strength, and Thursday swim and run.

Tuesday's run was something else. Tuesday is my new long run day - I'm still doing long runs because my Mom and I have another half marathon planned in May. Around the 4 mile mark I took my first Gu, and my stomach didn't like it very much. Luckily I found a bathroom around mile 7. At mile 8 I, brilliantly, took my second Gu. I didn't want to believe that the Gu was causing my stomach trouble, and I really needed some calories. I made it home without disaster but it wasn't too much fun. When I got home and my mind was no longer fixed on my stomach, I discovered that I was achy, nauseous, and completely exhausted. It was hard to stand up long enough to make dinner. While making dinner, I inexplicably decided to vacuum the kitchen floor. In bed (where I went right after dinner) I had chills and couldn't sleep until I took some Ibuprofin for my aches. But in the morning I was fine. In retrospect, I think I was badly dehydrated, probably thanks to a combination of stomach trouble and my own negligence.

Anyways ... during training I've talked to more than one person who is doing their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Team in Training event. Two people I've talked to intend to do one event a year indefinitely. I applaud their commitment, not just to endurance events, but to fundraising. Fundraising takes up lots of time and is an emotional rollercoaster. Some days I feel like I'll make my goal with room to spare, and other days I feel like it's never going to happen and I try to reconcile myself to contributing a large percentage of it myself. So, bravo multiple TNTers! You are amazing.